SUCCESS BEGINS AT HOME
By: Patricia Clarkson
How we can help our children be successful?
There are some basic skills children should be able to do to help their transition into the formal world of learning be a positive transition.
Help your child learn to:
• Put away toys on his/her own.
• Listen to simple instructions.
• Recognize the emotions of others.
• Take turns and share some toys ( they do not have to share everything).
• Sit still during a story.
• Express thoughts and needs verbally.
• Get dress without help.
• Recognize shapes and colors.
• Draw with crayons and pencils.
• Know his/her full name.
• Engage in pretend play.
• Can play alone.
There are many fun activities you can do with your child to help him/her learn these skills. It is important that learning new skills be enjoyable for you and your child.